Minutes of Ordinary Parish Council Meeting held in the Village Hall on Wednesday 9 March 2022

  1. Open Forum: No members of the public attended for this purpose

2. Apologies for Absence: Pauline Durant (PD) [RFO], Cllr. John Harrison (JH), Cllr. N Lamb (NL)

Present: Cllr.Philip Marwood (PM) [Chairman], Cllr.Sue Blagden (SB), Cllr. Nick Bell (NB), Cllr.Simon Flounders (SF), Cllr.Ruth Russell (RR), Cllr.Peter Smith (PS), Bruce Skinner (BS) [Clerk]

Members of the Public: Naomi Cox, Dean Wise

3. Minutes of Previous Meetings:
– Members who had attended the meeting unanimously RESOLVED to accept ‘as read’ the minutes of the EO Meeting on 16 December 2021
– n.b. For COVID reasons it was not possible to hold the scheduled 13 January Ordinary PC Meeting. Urgent business was instead discussed at a Gathering of Councillors, as a result of which, Clerk made the necessary expedient decisions.

4. Membership: Co-option to fill Casual Vacancy resulting from Alan Mitchell’s resignation.
Candidates: Kevin Ashdown, Naomi Cox, Dean Wise
In the light of the imminent elections and hence retirement of all councillors, this co-option process had been cancelled]


Matters to be Discussed:

a) Finance:
    i)     2023 Precept/Budget: Cost-cutting discussion featured the following expenditure centres:
            – Streetlights: NB agreed to review the locations of the PC’s 16 lights and to present a proposal for dispensing with some of them. Meanwhile, Clerk was tasked with investigating the feasibility of switching-off lights for a period e.g. midnight until 5 a.m.
            – In order to avoid the cost of hiring the village hall, Clerk will advise what other venues can be considered as alternatives for PC Meetings
            – SB will discuss with a member of the VCC the possibility of the PC reducing its contribution towards the cost of cemetery upkeep
            – RFO will be requested to brief members on the purpose of the PC’s insurance cover and to comment on the competitiveness of the premium      
          
    ii)     Expenditure versus Budget: In her distributed Notes to cllrs, RFO had implied that expenditure to date is in line with expectation

b) Road Safety:
    i)     It was unanimously Resolved that the PC should discontinue its membership of the Community Speed Watch (CSW) arrangement
    ii)    Vehicle Activated Speed signs scheme: SF agreed to be responsible for our membership of the ‘sharing’ rota; with the sign being located on the existing pole near Orchard House on Back Lane when it’s our turn
    iii)   HGV traffic joint initiative: It was agreed that, after the imminent elections the new PC would campaign with Scagglethorpe to influence RDC, NYCC, etc. on this issue         
    iv)   Speeding: Clerk was tasked with requesting a 7 day/24 hr speed monitoring survey to be conducted at the Forkers Lane entry to the village

c) Village Estate Management:

    i)     ECOSC: Members agreed that it had been disbanded, and suggested that its interests could be perhaps be maintained under the umbrella of the Village Interest Group (SEVdG)
    ii)    Community Surveys re Chapel Garth & Beckside management: SB reiterated the outcome of the surveys. It was agreed that
           – the wet areas of Beckside will inevitably need to be treated differently from the more readily mowed remainder
           – in the event of any renewed discontent regarding the ‘wildflower meadow’ operation of Chapel Garth, Birdsall Estate will be requested to reassign the tenancy from the PC to John Harrison.            
    iii)   Beck bank encroachment: SB reminded members that the Wold Ecology survey will encompass a complete calendar year. It was accepted that a decision regarding beck encroachment at the bridge could not be made until        the survey’s results had been taken into consideration
    iii)   Grass cutting: Clerk advised that two contractors had indicated their intention to bid by the ITT deadline of 25 March. In line with the PC’s Contracting & Purchasing Procedure, unless the outcome of the evaluation of the bids is contentious, ‘it shall be sufficient for a consensus view to be obtained bu the Clerk (by contacting all members of the PC), and minuted at the next PC meeting.

    iv)   Trees: It was agreed that Jo Paveley’s tree planting recommendations would be re-distributed to members and that Jo would be invited to summarise and discuss them as the first item on the agenda of the next meeting. It was agreed that a decision regarding sites for planting the PC’s and the school’s ‘saplings’ could be made at that time.
    v)    Application for an ECO grant: PC could not apply because: the grant process targeted commercial ventures, required match funding and a minimum request of £10,000.
        
d) Roads, Pavements, Etc.:   
    i)     Street Name signs: Clerk was asked to thank Alan Mitchell for his efforts to date, but to regret that he should discontinue working on the project as there are no funds available to complete it
         
e) Miscellaneous:
   
i)     Village Website: NB agreed to open discussions with Annie Harrison regarding e.g. its objectives, content, ‘ownership’, management and post Ryedale Connect future
    ii)    Platinum Jubilee Celebrations: RR advised that a public meeting is planned for 23 March to discuss plans and solicit further ideas.
    iii)   Street lights: It was agreed that any sodium street lights which fail before the outcome of NB’s review in 5 a) i) above should be left inoperable, ‘pending’.
    iv)   Abutment of concrete pedestrian bridge: Clerk was asked to thank Alan Mitchell for his efforts to date, but to ask him discontinue work on this matter
    v)    EV Charging Point: PC has formally ‘expressed an interest’ in this RDC potential offer
    vii)  Quarry Liaison: Members had been copied with the Notes from the 12 December meeting

5. Representation reports:

John HarrisonNeighbourhood Watch
VacantMalton & Norton Neighbourhood Plan
YLCA Branch Representative
Philip MarwoodYLCA Branch Representative
Sue BlagdenQuarry Liaison
Ruth RussellRDC & Parish Liaison Meeting

  There were no reports

6. Planning:
a)Applications 21/01509/HOUSE and 21/01510/LBC for works at 36 Beckside have been Approved
b) Planning Application 21/00564/FUL: Change of use and alteration of garage and outhouse to 2no. units of self-catering holiday accommodation at Wold View, Brambling Fields. The meeting RESOLVED unanimously that it had no ‘Observations’ to make regarding this Application and to advise RDC accordingly:

7. AOB:
– Members had been copied with the latest Instructions from RDC Elections regarding registering as candidates for re-election.
  Clerk was asked to copy the missive to the earlier co-option candidates above, and to post a copy on the Notice Board
– RR kindly offered to cut extra grips on Ford Lane 

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9 p.m.