DRAFT Minutes – Wed. 8 January 2020

  1. Open Forum.
    The three members of the public who were in attendance at that time did not raise any issues.

2. Apologies for Absence: Norman Lamb (NL), Peter Smith (PS)
Present:
Philip Marwood (PM) [Chairman], Alan Mitchell [Vice Chairman], Pauline Durant (PD) [RFO], Sue Blagden (SB), John Harrison (JH), Ruth Russell (RR), Stewart Walker (SW), Bruce Skinner (BS) [Clerk]
Members of the Public:
Four attended for the first part of the meeting
Cllrs present accepted their colleagues’ reasons for their absence.

3. Minutes of Previous Meeting(s) – 13 November 2019
It was Resolved that they should be ‘taken as read’.  

4. Matters Carried Over from Last Meeting
a) Community Speed Watch: SW continues to attempt to resolve impediments to start-up.
b) Cockgarth footbridge repair: A replacement steel footbridge has been sourced.
c) Modifications to un-Listed Buildings in the Conservation Area: Planning permission for South View’s flue wasn’t necessary; but would be necessary for Corner Cottage.
d) & e) Grass verges, wildflower meadows, beckside, etc. After discussion, it was unanimously agreed to set up a sub-committee to develop and propose to the PC an over-arching Village Eco-Management Plan

Subject to third party participants agreement, it was suggested that the sub-committee should be chaired by PM, and compromise RR, PS, Steven Summers, Nicola Wise and David Woollard, with Clerk as Secretary.

JH and RR will produce a first draft of the sub-committee’s Terms of Reference.

f)  Quarry Liaison meeting 2019: At quarry operator’s agent’s request, the meeting has been postponed until Spring 2020, subsequent to a successful outcome of the mineral extraction time extension application (see Item 7b) below).                
g) Vehicle Activated Speed sign: It was Resolved to defer a decision regarding joining a  Group scheme until the benefit of Community Speed Watch activity has been assessed.
h) Odd Jobs: It was Resolved that Clerk should use his financial discretion under the Contracting and Purchasing Procedure to arrange such minor maintenance tasks without seeking comparative bids.
i)  TLC Tackling Loneliness: After discussion, it was agreed that the established network of Neighbourhood Watch coordinators were well placed to identify residents who could be vulnerable in this regard.
The coordinators could also welcome newly arriving residents; AM kindly agreed to print hard copies of the Welcome Pack as required for this.
Accordingly, JH will request NHW coordinators to add these roles to their remit.
(Clerk will seek clarification from RDC Planning Dept. regarding their latest position vis-à-vis double-glazed Georgian windows.)
j)  Barclays Bank account closure: In hand.
k) Budget and Precept recommendations: It was Resolved to accept PD’s recommendation to request a 2.5% Precept.
It was agreed to:
– Rename the £400 ‘Tree Husbandry’ Budget contingency amount as ‘Miscellaneous Maintenance’ and to
– Add discussion of replacement street lights (sodium > LED) to the next meeting’s agenda.
 l) Ragwort: It was agreed that Clerk would draft, for Chairman’s signature, a ‘good neighbourliness’ letter to the resident concerned.

5. Matters Arisen since Last Meeting
a) Unauthorised Encampments Consultation: It was agreed that JH’s personal response to the consultation reflected the PC’s consensus view.
b) NALC Model Standing Orders: It was Resolved to adopt them all (rather than just the 9 previously adopted in November 2017).

c) The RDC Tree for Free: PM will plant it on his farm.
d) Village wooden signposts: Settrington Estate’s has kindly arranged for them to be repaired as necessary.

Representation reports:

John Harrison Neighbourhood Watch
Alan Mitchell Malton & Norton Neighbourhood Plan
YLCA Branch Representative
Philip Marwood YLCA Branch Representative
Sue Blagden Malton & Norton Neighbourhood Plan
Ruth Russell RDC & Parish Liaison Meeting

JH provided the latest edition of the NHW newsletter for circulation among cllrs.
Other representatives had nothing to report.

7. Planning:
a) Planning Application 19/01104/HOUSE – Erection of wrap-around single storey extension to the south and west elevations, single storey extension to the east elevation and detached double garage at 6 Cock Garth: Has been Approved
b) Consultation re NY/2019/0211/73 – Time extension for quarry mineral extraction: There were No Objections

8. AOB

Date of next Meeting: Wednesday 11 March 2020

Bruce Skinner, Parish Clerk