Draft Minutes – Wed 11 September

DRAFT Minutes of Meeting held at Settrington Village Hall on Wednesday 11 September 2019 at 7 p.m.

  1. Open Forum
    No-one attended.

  2. Apologies for Absence: Norman Lamb (NL), Pauline Durant (PD) [RFO]
    Present: Philip Marwood (PM) [Chairman], Alan Mitchell [Vice Chairman], Sue Blagden (SB), John Harrison (JH), Peter Smith (PS), Ruth Russell (RR), Stewart Walker (SW), Bruce Skinner (BS) [Clerk]
    Members of the Public: None

    Councillors present accepted the reasons for NL and PD’s absences.

  3. Minutes of Previous Meeting(s) – 10 July 2019
    Taken as read
    Proposed: JH     Seconded: PS          Votes: Unanimous
  4. Matters Carried Over from Last Meeting
    a)  Community Speed Watch – SW has completed his training and is confident that he has sufficient volunteers for his team. He now awaits a ‘next step’ response from the Community Speed Watch Coordinator.
    b)  Streetlights lampposts painting – Completed
    c)  New Road salt grit bins – It was agreed to re-site the top bin to just below the entrance to The Old Rectory and to make that the free-refill one. PM and PS will kindly execute the re-arrangement. Clerk will advise Highways accordingly.
    d)  Cockgarth footbridge maintenance – It was agreed to postpone further discussion of this project until the next meeting with NL’s presence, and that Mr Neil Stead would be invited to join the discussion. In the meantime, AM will advise what size RSJs would be needed in the event that it was decided to dispense with the mid-span support column.
    e)  Dog poo nuisance – After lengthy discussion, it was agreed that the fifth bin should be re-sited to the Wolds Cycle Path sign’s pole at the top of New Road Hill. JH kindly agreed to execute the re-siting. Clerk will advise RDC accordingly regarding emptying.
    f)  Modifications to un-Listed Buildings in the Conservation Area: The abridged response from RDC’s Conservation Officer is ‘Certain permitted development rights in conservation areas are different from those outside conservation areas. It depends what the development is. If the Parish Council is concerned about some works then they could complete an enforcement enquiry’.
    After lengthy discussion it was Resolved that, within two weeks, the Chairman would request from the property-owner a copy of the approval documentation for the modification concerned, and that he, AM and Clerk should consider whether or not it would be appropriate to submit an enforcement enquiry form to RDC.  
    Proposed: PM    Seconded: PS          Votes: Unanimous
    g) Regulation of Broadband dishes: The following abridged response from RDC’s Conservation Officer was noted: ‘If a dish is fixed to a listed building then Listed Building Consent is required. If the position/design/scale/colour/profile of the dish is discreet (to the rear not too visible from public areas) then generally officers tend to be supportive of applications.’.   
    h)  i) Grass verge wildflower meadows: It was agreed to postpone discussion of PD’s proposal until she is present at the next meeting
        ii) Beckside grass cutting (See appended site plan drafted by RR.)
           a) It was Resolved that the PC had no objection to RR’s proposal to seed the areas shown   in purple (to the south west of the concrete pedestrian bridge and on the grass verge opposite Rectory Farm Cottages on Back Lane) with wild flowers. This would begin as a 3 year project, with annual reviews for minor adjustments.
    Proposed: RR    Seconded: SB          Votes: Unanimous
         b) After lengthy discussion*, RR proposed, with a seconder, that in future the yellow areas on the map should not be mown until the end of the season when all wild flowers have seeded; PS made an alternative proposal that the status quo should be maintained, however there was no seconder for the latter proposal.
    The former proposal was thus subjected to a vote as follows:
    Proposed: RR    Seconded: SW        Votes: For: 5  Against: 1 Abstained: 1
    The Resolution that the yellow areas should in future not be mown until the end of the season was thus adopted.
    * During the discussion a supportive E-mail from Ms J Paveley was read out by Clerk.
    i)   Double glazing for Listed-building windows: After discussion, it was Resolved to endorse for the record the PC’s comment to RDC regarding their No Objection to Planning Application 19/00695/LBC that the PC ‘is wholly supportive of suitable double glazing becoming an acceptable norm for the village’.
    Proposed: AM    Seconded: JH      Votes: For: 6 Against: 1

  5. Matters Arisen since Last Meeting
    a)  Chapel Garth – Clerk handed out copies of For and Against supportive letters (and notes on the history of the custodial arrangement) regarding a request by some residents to change the area from being a wild flower meadow to being a recreation area instead.
    It was agreed to postpone discussion of this topic until the next meeting, by which time councillors would have had time to read and digest the handouts.
    b)  Middleton Close garages: A resident has expressed concerns regarding the safety of allegedly unsupervised children riding bikes at high speed on the road and around the garages. Clerk was requested to respond to the resident that, whilst the PC is sympathetic to the concerns, it has no jurisdiction in this matter.    
    c)  Cockgarth picnic bench – In response to a request from SW on behalf of residents, the PC Resolved that it would have no objection to the residents providing and siting a picnic bench on the green patch between Cockgarth and Middleton Close.
    Proposed: JH     Seconded: AM          Votes: Unanimous
    d)  Parish Clerk:  Members present confirmed their ongoing agreement to the Clerk’s remaining in post subsequent to his six month’s ago withdrawal of his earlier resignation.
     
  6. Representation reports:
John Harrison Neighbourhood Watch
Alan Mitchell Malton & Norton Neighbourhood Plan
YLCA Branch Representative
Philip Marwood YLCA Branch Representative
Sue Blagden Malton & Norton Neighbourhood Plan
Ruth Russell RDC & Parish Liaison Meeting


Nothing to report

7. Planning
a) Glazed lean-to extension at 25 Beckside, – 19/00682/HOUSE & 19/00695/LBC: Refused
b) Rectory Farm Development re-submission – 18/00282/FUL: Approved

8. AOB  
a) The issue of ragwort will be added to the agenda for the next meeting.

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.05 p.m.

Date of next Meeting: Wednesday 13 November 2019