DRAFT Minutes of Remote Zoom Parish Council Meeting held on Wednesday 10 March 2021 at 7 p.m.

Joining instructions were: Meeting ID: 845 4788 3479 Passcode: 587747

Tel. No. 0131 460 1196

  1. Open Forum.
    No local residents attended for an Open Forum

2. Apologies for Absence: Norman Lamb (NL),Pauline Durant (PD) [RFO]
Participating:
Philip Marwood (PM) [Chairman], Alan Mitchell [Vice Chairman], Sue Blagden (SB), John Harrison (JH), Ruth Russell (RR), Peter Smith (PS), Stewart Walker (SW), Bruce Skinner (BS) [Clerk]
Members of the Public: A member of the public identified only as ‘K’,with a background photo of the Settrington phone box, presumably monitored the meeting.
Other individuals, apparently with the intention of disrupting, or otherwise, the meeting, were briefly allowed access and then excluded.
Members participating unanimously RESOLVED that the Council approved NL and PD’s reasons for absence from the meeting

3. Minutes of Previous Meeting(s):
Members who had attended the meeting unanimously RESOLVED to accept ‘as read’ the minutes of the 3 February 2021 EO Meeting
Chairman agreed to those minutes being signed digitally.

4. Matters Carried-over from Last Meeting:
a) Finance:
    i) Barclays Bank account -PD to report at next meeting
   
ii)Street Lights power supply Supply contract reassigned to NYCC’s provider with effect from 1 March 2021
    iii) Precept/Budget – PD to report at next meeting
    iv) Expenditure versus Budget – PD to report at next meeting
b) Road Safety:
    i) Community Speed Watch (CSW) -SW has recruited one team member and anticipates recruiting another, with the intention of commencing operation shortly (after having gained kind agreement from the residents of Akaroa to operate from their driveway approach). He has agreed with Scagglethorpe PC to share the CSW equipment on a 3-monthly basis.
SB has kindly agreed that the driveway of Rectory Farm could be used as a CSW location on Back Lane; SW will propose this option to the CSW authority for approval.
    ii) Speed & Traffic Calming and Parking – SW will research and evaluate such calming measures as would be appropriate for Back Lane, and possible parking solutions for the houses which have none
AM confirmed that he had discussed the recent road accident on Back Lane with the Police in order to evaluate the road safety implications.
SW will request NYCC(?) to carry out a monitoring survey to establish what sort of vehicles, at what speed and when, use Back Lane.
    iii) Settrington Top Road (aka Quarry Road) – Members have been copied with NYCC Highways Area 4’s response to Clerk’s query regarding the outcome of their investigation of the road traffic accident fatality, i.e. no road action considered necessary.
The PC will view with interest the outcome of the further authorities’ investigation(s) to see if, for example, a 40 mph speed limit is proposed.
    iv) SB has had no reply to her query to Fenstones regarding their Planning Application assertion that quarry trucks do not drive through the village.
She will thus escalate the query to the NYCC planning authority.
    v) Clerk will request NYCC Highways Area 4 to replace the faded 30 mph road sign on Back Lane
 
c) Village Estate Management:
   
i) Grass Cutting – On behalf of the ITT assessment sub-committee, Clerk proposed awarding the 2021 Grass Cutting contract to the only contractor who bid to undertake both the strimming and tractor/flailing aspects of the tendered Work Programmes. Members unanimously Resolved to endorse this award.
    ii) ECOSC:
        – 50 baby trout have been released into the beck
        – Simon Flounders, Mike Heuck, Jo Paveley and Maxine Tait have been recruited onto the ECO Sub Committee
        – In the interest of inclusivity: JH/RR are organising a snowdrops division/planting day, an education day in the summer and a farm visit when its wild flower areas are in bloom.
        – Ideas were requested for potential sponsors for signage
      iii) Trees
        – Gary Liversidge has kindly pruned the low branches of the Back Lane horse chestnut tree and pollarded the beckside twisty willow, at no charge.
        – Beckside silver birch – No further action to be taken re pruning (see 7 a) below)
        – Routine tree husbandry – It was agreed that ECOSC would monitor the condition of trees within the Conservation area for which the PC is responsible, and recommend appropriate remedial action to the PC.
       – Tree Planting – It was agreed that ECOSC would undertake consideration of Jo Paveley’s proposal
       – It was proposed and supported unanimously to ‘plant a tree’ in memory of the late Colin Wigglesworth. AM will progress this project.     
d) Roads, Pavements, Etc.:
     i) Street Lights:
        – The first conversion, sodium > LED (opposite the school) has been completed.
        – Lights near school: It was pointed out that the sodium light serves to illuminate the village car park.
     ii) Cockgarth footbridge replacementNL plans to install the bridge in the spring when conditions and the availability of staff/helpers allow.
     iii)Clerk has had no response to his request to NYCC Highways Area 4 asking for the signs to be replaced on the passing places on Settrington High Street     

iv)Clerk has requested NYCC to clear overgrowing grass from the Town Street pavement, but has not yet had any response.
     v) Fords signage – NYCC Highways Area 4 will install a ‘FORD’ warning sign on New Road.
     vi) Installing Street Name signs – AM will report at the next meeting on his requesting RDC or NYCC to do this.
     vii) Winter damage to verges and roads:
     – Clerk was instructed to request NYCC Highways Area 4 to investigate why surface and ground water drains off the Settrington House lawn onto the road, and to request that the road drain be unblocked.
     – PS will request Yorkshire Water to repair the damage done to the Beckside verge at the bottom of New Road.
    
e) Miscellaneous:
      i) Meetings after 6 May: It was unanimously agreed that, if circumstances permit, the May meetings should be held in the village hall following Covid-safe protocols. However, it was consensually agreed that Zoom meetings could be effectively utilised for short meetings, e.g. regarding straightforward planning applications
      ii) Consultation on Local Government Reorganisation in North Yorkshire: This ends on 19 April. Clerk reminded members that response is requested from individuals, not from e.g. the PC.
      iii) Landowner Statement re Chapel Garth:
      – SB agreed to send, on behalf of the PC, a briefing package to Mr Willoughby (Birdsall Estates) demonstrating how the PC has involved the community in the Chapel Garth management decision-making process.
      – Clerk will contact RDC regarding amending the Village Design Statement to correct the inaccurate classification of Chapel Garth.

5. Matters Arisen since Last Meeting:
a) Tree planting and Jo Paveley’s suggested possibilities: See 4.c.iii) above
b) Work on beckside silver birch: See 4.c.iii) above
c) Routine tree husbandry: See 4.c.iii) above
d) Meetings after 6 May: See 4.e.i) above
e) Winter damage to verges and roads: See 4.d.vii) above
f)  Traffic/Parking/Road Safety on Back Lane: See 4.b.ii) above
  

6. Representation reports:

John Harrison Neighbourhood Watch
Alan Mitchell Malton & Norton Neighbourhood Plan
YLCA Branch Representative
Philip Marwood YLCA Branch Representative
Sue Blagden Quarry Liaison
Ruth Russell RDC & Parish Liaison Meeting

It was agreed that JH could spend some £30 on a replacement NHW sign for Back Lane
JH has recruited a further 2 Litter Pickers, bringing the team total to 22

AM attended a YLCA Branch meeting

7. Planning:
a) Works to trees in a Conservation Area 20/01171/CAT – Settrington PC’s application:
As a result of objections raised, the request for approval of work to the beckside silver birch was withdrawn and the application amended accordingly, i.e. to feature only the Back Lane horse chestnut. Consent was deemed to have been given on 2 February.

8. AOB
– Barking dogs allegation – Clerk has been requested by the RDC Community Team to make it known that they cannot investigate anonymous complaints of this nature. Clerk was instructed to post a note to that effect on the village notice board.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.03 p.m.

Date of next Meeting: Wednesday 12 May 2021