Minutes – 13 March 2019

Minutes of Meeting held at Settrington Village Hall on Wednesday 13 March 2019 at 7 p.m.   

  1. Apologies for Absence:  Alan Mitchell (AM), Colin Wigglesworth (CW), Margaret Tierney (MT)
    Present: Peter Smith (PS) [Chairman], Philip Marwood (PM) [Vice Chairman], Pauline Durant (PD) [Treasurer/RFO], John Harrison (JH), Norman Lamb (NL), Jane Ramsden (JR), Bruce Skinner (BS) [Clerk]
    Members of the Public: None attendedCllrs present accepted the reasons for AM, MT and CW’s absences.
  2. Minutes of the last meeting: 17 January 2019
    Taken as read
    Proposed: PM    Seconded: JH           Votes: Unanimous
  3. Matters Carried Over from Last Meeting
    a) Parish Clerk situation: Cllrs accepted Clerk’s retraction of his earlier, illness-triggered Notice, and his proposal to review the situation in 6 months.
    b) Beck & Beckside management: Cllrs agreed that Clerk should initiate the grass cutting for the 2019 Season Tender process forthwith by posting the Invitation To Tender with its indicative workscope on the village notice board and the village website.
    c) Community Speed Watch: PD will set the ball rolling by appointing a Coordinator.d) IT based Planning Application Consultations: RDC maintain their electronic-only consultation policy. In addition, YLCA have advised that all decisions regarding observations on planning applications must be taken at a PC meeting.  
    JH kindly offered the Harrison Hire boardroom as a venue with broadband access for such meetings.
    e) Streetlights Maintenance: Advice awaited from maintenance contractor, Acorn, regarding the status of the bi-annual maintenance and lamppost painting.  
    f)  HGV Traffic & Winter road gritting: Highways have advised that further comment on these issues awaits analysis of the results of the Malton clean air trial.
    h) Cockgarth footbridge: PM will approach his Highways contact, Alan, regarding the status of this outstanding repair request.  
  4. Matters Arisen since Last Meeting
    a) Broadband: AM has written to Kevin Hollinrake MP, reiterating our need for fast fibre broadband to the whole village, rather than superfast to just a few premises
    b) Village Welcome Pack: The latest update is now posted on the village website; this being the case, the meeting agreed that the provision of hard copies of the pack is no longer necessary.
    JH accepted the Chairman’s thanks for Neighbourhood Watch and Harrison Hire’s compiling and producing the packs, but concurred with the meeting’s suggestion that its routine upkeep should now be the responsibility of the Parish Council.
  5. Representation:
John HarrisonNeighbourhood Watch (NHW)
Alan Mitchell Malton & Norton Neighbourhood Plan
YLCA Branch Representative
Philip Marwood YLCA Branch Representative
Jane Ramsden Malton & Norton Neighbourhood Plan
RDC & Parish Liaison Meeting

Representatives had nothing to report.

6.Noteworthy Correspondence:

–  Sir Richard Storey letter re street lights
– 
Statutory Polling Review Consultation-  NY Fire & Rescue Authority
–  Compliance with GDPR/DPA Security Incident Policy
–  Annual Rough Sleeper Estimate
–  NLLC CE’s Bulletins

–  The Rural Bulletin
–  Putting the heart (and housing) back into your community
–  Proposed review of the Localism Act, Model Code of Conduct
–  Commencement of Consultation on Modifications to Ryedale Plan
–  Independent Custody Visitors – can you assist?
–  Volunteers wanted to help scrutinise and support local policing
–  How does the fear of crime affect you and your local community?
–  Community First Yorkshire 2019 Survey
–  Race Hate posters
–  White Rose Updates
–  ‘Your services, your say’ – budget consultation
–  Request for ‘Children at Play’ signs to be installed at Cockgarth

7. Planning
a) Rectory Farm Development re-submission – 18/00282/FUL: No news
b) Replace garage at Woodside Cottage, Beverley Road – 19/00069/FUL
Members had no objection to this application.
c) Solar Panels at Brook Farm Barn – 19/00264/LBC (Listed Building Consent)
It was proposed that there should be no objection to this application, but, when put to the vote, this proposal was rejected on the basis that:
– It contravenes the spirit of the Conservation Area
– The panels would be prominent when viewed from Back Lane
– It would set a precedent that solar panels are acceptable on prominent roofs of traditional, listed buildings, despite the fact that this would not be in keeping with the village’s vernacular charm.
Votes:      For: 2   Against: 3    Abstained: 1

8. AOB
a) School Governor Cllrs will raise with the headmistress the matter of the school’s empty recycle bins being left unattended on the pavement for long periods.
b) Clerk will request Yorkshire Water to repair the damage done on the corner of Town Street and Scarlet Balk Lane when a tanker ran off the road.

There being no further business, the Meeting closed at 8.26 p.m. Date of next Meetings (Annual and Regular): Wednesday 8 May 2019 ed0